Friday, July 28, 2006

Hightlight of my life

Thursday was a highlight of my life. I was driving home from my swim workout and thinking about how lucky I am to be able to work out and feel so good. I was admiring the others in my neighborhood who were out walking and running -- including some older people. I wish and pray that I will still be exercising when I'm older. I truly love exercising and being active. I wish everyone did it so they can experience how great it makes you feel.

I was day-dreaming a bit, thinking about running and how lucky I am to have strong legs, good knees, stable back that allow to me run. I am so thankful.

I came up a hill in my neighborhood and around the corner -- and who did I see running on the sidewalk?! My son and our dog.

Wow...my 14-year-old got up on his own and took off for a run. I have been training with him this summer because he's doing cross country his freshman year and I want him to be semi-ready for their first practices. He seems to enjoy it OK....although I feel like I nag him much of the time to get him out there.

So to see him out running without any prodding or nagging on my part....was just amazing. I'm so proud of him for being disciplined and interested that he did it on his own.

Of course, the thought of running with him for years to come is so heart-warming for me. I won't care if he chooses not to run. But if he sticks with it and it's something we can enjoy together, that would be so cool.

So here's all the teenagers who get out there and run, swim, bike, play golf, and do whatever turns them on!

No comments: